Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY: Hatchback Big Brake Upgrade
11-20-2019, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2019 09:59 PM by bloodehunter.)
I'm pretty sure most of you barely notice, but the G4's brakes are significantly bigger than the ones installed on the hatchback. In 2017, however, Mitsubishi released hatchbacks with G4-sized brakes in the international market. Unfortunately, it was not the case in the Ph.

But no need to fret. Luckily, the G4 and HB share the same chassis, suspension and even brake components so it is definitely possible to share parts under the said categories. It may also be a good time to upgrade if your rotors have reached its minimum thickness and needs replacement, as in my case.

We'll just focus on the front brakes for now, so let's start it with some technical specs. The Hatchback (even the newer 2019 models) use 229mm rotors, while the G4 comes with 251mm. It maybe just about an inch in difference but,in theory, the further away the effort is from the center, the less effort it is needed to accomplish the job. In addition to this, larger rotors tend to hold more heat, thus better resistance to brake fade and rotor overheating.

[Image: 2019-11-20-18-26-15.jpg]
(please note I'm running on 16" wheels)

Let's start with the things you'll need:

Quote:Pre-requisite/Disclaimer:
-You must alreay have a knowledge/experience in removing and replacing your wheels prior to proceeding
- You must clean the new rotors with brake cleaner prior to installation. Most rotors are coated with oil to avoid rusting while stored.
-Do it at your own risk. If you're not sure what you'll be doing, ask assistance from an experienced mechanic or better yet, a knowledgeable MPH co-member

1. G4 Caliper bracket

Side by side photo of the G4 bracket vs. the hatchback bracket, the most important part you'll need to make the larger rotors fit. I was able to purchase mine from a salvaged G4 and transacted through FB. Most sellers wouldn't allow me to buy this separately with the caliper piston but luckily i found someone who would.
[Image: 20191120-164115-001.jpg]

2. G4 Rotors
Bought a replacement part (HiQ) on mine as OEM is just as expensive as buying slotted/drilled rotors from runstop.
[Image: 20191120-154504.jpg]

3. 14mm socket & 17mm socket for the bolts

4. Jack and Jack stands
You can use the stock jacks that came with the car but I highly recommend using it with a jack stand, or a heavy duty crocodile jack.

5. Disk brake system lubricant (High temp greases will do but I use Bendix's silicone-based brake lubricant to avoid premature aging on the rubber seals)

6. Brake cleaner ( one large can or two small cans will do)

7. Torque wrench (not necesarry, but it's better to use one than losing a bolt thread)

The labor part

1. Remove the tire of the side you wish to start. Make sure your handbrake is tight!

2. Assuming you have already raised and secured the car with jacks and/or jack stands, turn the steering wheel towards the direction of the tire you removed for easy access.

3. Remove the caliper piston from the bracket by removing the two 14mm caliper bolts (aka sliding pin) that is holding it to the bracket. YOu might need to press the piston itself in using a flat head screwdriver as a lever so the caliper is no longer biting the rotor. After removing the caliper piston, hang it on the spring using wires. Do not let it hang on its weight as doing so may damage your rubber brake lines!

4. Remove the brake pads from the caliper. You may also want take this chance to inspect your brake pad thickness and wear. Removing the caliper also allows you to slide the rotor out of the hub. If it's stuck, use a hammer if needed.

5. Remove two 17mm bolts holding the bracket to the hub. It's thread-locked so it may be tough to untighten it the first time.

6. Once the bracket is removed, install the larger G4 bracket to to the hub and tighten the 17mm bolts to 77ft-lbs. Then reinstall the inner brake pad. You may take this chance to relube the shims and piston lip as preventive maintenance.

7. Reinstall the caliper piston. You may want to relube the caliper pins prior to installing as part of the preventive maintenance. Replace the top caliper pin, hand-tight, slide the caliper piston up then install the new G4 rotors.

8. Secure the caliper piston in position and tighten both 14mm bolt until SNUG. It is very easy to over tighten this bolt with long wrenches.

9. IMPORTANT. Check if you can move the caliper assembly back and forth. The caliper sliding pins should allow unrestricted movement during braking, otherwise you're in big trouble.

10. Press the brake pedal until firm and make sure you did not forget anything hanging on the suspension, then return the wheel.

----------------------------------------------------------
Edit history:

11/22/19
Pads are half-way bedded to the rotors, I still have to drive it more and can't do heavy braking until the pads are flat on the rotors. Cons of reusing brake pads is longer bed-in procedure since pads are not flat anymore.

11/20/19
This post was created. I have yet to do the bed-in procedures for the new rotors the next day. I'm using brembo pads. I am open to corrections in this post, as well as suggestions to more efficient ways of doing the replacement.
The following 1 user Likes bloodehunter's post:
shadir41

[Image: Cavcrew_cover.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2019, 10:15 PM
Very nice diy sir very detailed. I am also planning this route pero walang idea kung san bibilhin yung caliper bracket pang G4. San mo nabili yung bracket at magkano sir? Thanks.

The following 1 user Likes NaimaRaiko's post:
bloodehunter

[img][Image: 6ig1af.jpg][/img]
Find all posts by this user
11-20-2019, 10:19 PM
RE: DIY: Hatchback Big Brake Upgrade
Kausap ko Lacanilao Mk thru FB. Kay Evo Lancer kasi ayaw pabenta na bracket lang.

You've got PM.

11-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Mga 200km pa siguro bago magfully bed-in yung pads sa rotors. Kanina nagbrake test ako 60 to zero paulit ulit to build up heat sa pads at magevaporate lht ng oil sa rotors.

Kung pwede lang mag attach ng vid dito, makita nyo din panp umusok pag bago yung rotors hehe.

11-21-2019, 03:26 PM
(11-21-2019 02:00 PM)bloodehunter Wrote:  Mga 200km pa siguro bago magfully bed-in yung pads sa rotors. Kanina nagbrake test ako 60 to zero paulit ulit to build up heat sa pads at magevaporate lht ng oil sa rotors.

Kung pwede lang mag attach ng vid dito, makita nyo din panp umusok pag bago yung rotors hehe.

Significant ba ang pagpalit mo ng bigger rotors sir from stock? Lesser brake distance ba? Mas lumakas ba ang preno? Thanks!

11-21-2019, 03:54 PM
(11-21-2019 03:26 PM)NaimaRaiko Wrote:  
(11-21-2019 02:00 PM)bloodehunter Wrote:  Mga 200km pa siguro bago magfully bed-in yung pads sa rotors. Kanina nagbrake test ako 60 to zero paulit ulit to build up heat sa pads at magevaporate lht ng oil sa rotors.

Significant ba ang pagpalit mo ng bigger rotors sir from stock? Lesser brake distance ba? Mas lumakas ba ang preno? Thanks!

To early to tell paps, still ongoing pa bedding in ng pads, hindi pa lapat sa rotor. Have to make sure flat na tung pads sa rotors before doing a hard 100 to zero brake test.

Ang observation ko ngayon, mas madali imodulate yung brakes given how aggressive the brembo pads i'm using now.

11-21-2019, 09:45 PM
(11-21-2019 03:26 PM)NaimaRaiko Wrote:  ...

@bloodehunter definitely needs this upgrade more than we do as he has bigger and heavier tires, i.e., 16's.. hehe..

[Image: Qr4L2Qm.jpg][Image: Lt4LWVM.jpg]
“It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.” – Bill Murray
11-21-2019, 09:49 PM
(11-21-2019 09:45 PM)Rolf Wrote:  
(11-21-2019 03:26 PM)NaimaRaiko Wrote:  ...

@bloodehunter definitely needs this upgrade more than we do as he has bigger and heavier tires, i.e., 16's.. hehe..
True. Just one of may reasons haha!

Another thing na naobserve ko, yung weight difference G4 rotors from hb medyo ramdam din konti when driving.

11-24-2019, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2019 12:38 AM by bloodehunter.)
Update as of 11/23/19
I can brake from 80kph to zero with significantly less effort on the pedal than the previous rotor. Pads are still 80% bedded to the rotor.
[Image: 52e3ab0c77b04f9173f9ccfb0299ed47.jpg]

11-24-2019, 07:56 AM
(11-24-2019 12:34 AM)bloodehunter Wrote:  Update as of 11/23/19
I can brake from 80kph to zero with significantly less effort on the pedal than the previous rotor. Pads are still 80% bedded to the rotor.
[Image: 52e3ab0c77b04f9173f9ccfb0299ed47.jpg]

Very nice

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.