Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throttle body coolant line by-pass
10-09-2018, 01:29 PM
I bet only a few of us are aware that our Mirage's throttle bodies are connected to the engine's water cooling line.

For countries that experience freezing winters, this might be a good feature, but for tropical countries like ours, it's totally unnecessary IMO.

While most of us resort for cold air intake lines, air is still being heated prior to entering the manifold, through the throttle body. Imagine water coolant flowing around the throttle body at 90C, even the coldest air will eventually be as hot as your engine as soon as it enters the cylinders.

I might do a DIY bypass, but I have yet to figure out the things I need especially top-up coolant and where i can get fittings and plugs.

For anybody who had done this mod, any inputs you can share will be highly appreciated. 6

[Image: Capture.png]
The following 2 users Like bloodehunter's post:
kites182, spectro

[Image: Cavcrew_cover.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2018, 05:05 PM
RE: Throttle body coolant line by-pass
Question is, what is the air temp before & after entering the throttle body?

[img][Image: 6ig1af.jpg][/img]
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2018, 07:04 AM
its function is not to cool nor warm the ETV but to stabilize its temp. the ETV motor is continuously supplied by current from the ECU removing this coolant line will result in overheating of the coil failure of the whole component.. napaka iksi ng travel ng air across sa ETV so close to none ang dagdag nun sa temp ng intake air if that is what you are concerned.. in my opinion, wag mo na lang ituloy..
The following 3 users Like enk's post:
a121, NaimaRaiko, bloodehunter
10-10-2018, 09:58 AM
You are just dealing with 74C +- of air temp passing sa intake. Im assuming sa map sensor galing yung value kasi ito lang ang sensor before and after the throttle body.[Image: bdd3e112bf0e64717adacec68560f6a3.jpg]

[img][Image: 6ig1af.jpg][/img]
10-10-2018, 07:45 PM
The servo motor should operate cooler initially w/o the coolant line connected but taking into account @enk's concern the question is, during extended operation - will the throttle body exceed the coolant temperature which will be bad for the servo motor? If it is, it will be best to leave it as it is.
[Image: electronic_throttle_control_1.gif]
However, there's a post at DIY : Throttle Body - Coolant bypass showing a 2013 May Swift VXI without a coolant line and a 2012 April Swift VXI w/c has it.

My Torque screen captures for air temp vis-a-vis coolant temperature taken today
[Image: 2NVfnLll.jpg]
It is interesting to note that as the coolant temperature rises, so is the intake temperature.

If @bloodehunter will be the first to do it, it will be best to have a thermal scanner in standby to monitor the throttle body temperature during/after the trial run. After all, the original setup can always be reverted.

I will tackle into this later.. unahin ko muna mga nakapending ko.. hehe ..

[Image: Qr4L2Qm.jpg][Image: Lt4LWVM.jpg]
“It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.” – Bill Murray
10-10-2018, 07:55 PM
(10-10-2018 07:04 AM)enk Wrote:  its function is not to cool nor warm the ETV but to stabilize its temp. the ETV motor is continuously supplied by current from the ECU removing this coolant line will result in overheating of the coil failure of the whole component.. napaka iksi ng travel ng air across sa ETV so close to none ang dagdag nun sa temp ng intake air if that is what you are concerned.. in my opinion, wag mo na lang ituloy..
I do think, however, than intake air maybe sufficient in cooling the coils instead of the close-to-boiling coolant temps.

I've traced the lines connecting to the TB and both lines lead to the engine's crankcase.

But given sir @enk's hands on experience, i'll probably stick to his advise.

10-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Surender na paps? Di naman siguro masisira servo motor pagka saglit lang .. hehe..

no time yet for this one.. Abala pa isipan ko sa light weight pulleys at SS lifetime oil filter ..

[Image: Qr4L2Qm.jpg][Image: Lt4LWVM.jpg]
“It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.” – Bill Murray
10-11-2018, 07:42 AM
sa pwet lang dumadaan yun coolant..it is not like an engine blocks water jacket.. the round impression sa ETV thats the whole coil motor.. so kung mainit ang pakiramdam nung ETV thats because of the temperature of the engine bay here are some photos although pang LANCER EX itong ETV na to pero the same lang naman sila ng construction mas malaki lang ng konti ito:

[Image: DC%20MOTOR1_zpsjx5aeoi6.jpg]

[Image: REMOVED%20DC%20MOTOR1_zpsezk6b2si.jpg]

[Image: SENSOR%20AND%20MOTOR%20SUPPLY1_zps4hjiqd59.jpg]
The following 2 users Like enk's post:
Rolf, bloodehunter
10-11-2018, 01:20 PM
(10-10-2018 08:09 PM)Rolf Wrote:  Surender na paps? Di naman siguro masisira servo motor pagka saglit lang .. hehe..

no time yet for this one.. Abala pa isipan ko sa light weight pulleys at SS lifetime oil filter ..
Nakita ko nga umorder ka ng lightweight pulley hehe. Pero as per feedback ni Loren, neglible gains unless lahat ng pulleys papalitan.

10-12-2018, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2018 01:20 AM by bloodehunter.)
I figured out reasons bakit kailangan daanan ng coolant ang TB, probably because of fuel economy reasons.

The hotter the air, the less dense it is and, the leaner the fuel mixture needed.

The opposite naman kapag cooler air ang papasok sa intake.

Another reason nahanap ko sa wikipedia, nalaman ko din na even cable-driven throttle bodies are equipped with coolant passages dahil ginagamit ng ECU na reference ang coolant temps para malaman gaano kasensitive ang throttle valve sa apak ng driver.

Quote:The components of a typical throttle body
In fuel injected engines, the throttle body is the part of the air intake system that controls the amount of air flowing into the engine, in response to driver accelerator pedal input in the main. The throttle body is usually located between the air filter box and the intake manifold, and it is usually attached to, or near, the mass airflow sensor. Often, an engine coolant line also runs through it in order for the engine to draw intake air at a certain temperature (the engine's current coolant temperature, which the ECU senses through the relevant sensor) and therefore with a known density.

The largest piece inside the throttle body is the throttle plate, which is a butterfly valve that regulates the airflow.

On many cars, the accelerator pedal motion is communicated via the throttle cable, which is mechanically connected to the throttle linkages, which, in turn, rotate the throttle plate. In cars with electronic throttle control (also known as "drive-by-wire"), an electric actuator controls the throttle linkages and the accelerator pedal connects not to the throttle body, but to a sensor, which outputs a signal proportional to the current pedal position and sends it to the ECU. The ECU then determines the throttle opening based on the accelerator pedal's position and inputs from other engine sensors such as the engine coolant temperature sensor.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.